Wednesday, October 27, 2010

on carton road

tired of walking upright,
i found myself sitting on the last
of the two rows of red plastic chairs.
then crumbled into tears.
it was only
when they brought in a woman
dressed in red,
that i saw the wood,
the shed,
the pot of fire,
the smoke,
and the people.
but they did not see me,
so i was content to sit.
later it was an old woman and then a young man,
more people wringing hands
at flames,
and the smoke got into my eyes.
an old man with tired eyes,
asked me what i was doing there,
'koi saga thaa kya?'
not 'who', i wanted to say,
ask 'what' had died.
and yes, it was 'sagaa', very personal.
i collected my defeated shoulders,
stood up straight
then walked home. who'd have guessed
so close to the neon lit cafes of carter road
there existed, a perfect refuge.





1 comment:

Taher Kagalwala said...

Hello Manisha, this is a nice poem. I wonder why the title is "Carton" road and not "carter" road. Perhaps there is a symbolism here that I am missing. Please enlighten and oblige.